Thursday, March 6, 2014

Dalton Ghetti 03/6/14

     Dalton Ghetti is a Brazilian artist who specializes in caring pencils. He started his craft by learning to create his own toys and boxes from a kit that his parents had given him. He started off sculpting larger objects but then decided to go smaller because of his interest in the small hings in nature. So he began using a pencil as his sculpting medium. He wanted to bring attention to the small things in life.
    I am so ridiculously impressed by his work. I can not even imagine the skill and patience it must take to do this. Just carving something so simple and as small as a pencil. From a single pencil he has interlocking pieces and extremely detailed images. From some of he images I've seen it looks like he uses an exact-o knife, he probably uses other ools as well but that is he only recognizable tool I saw.

Chain PrintI'm very impressed by he chain in this piece. Each link has a uniform shape and size. I also like that it's from one pencil but with the shape of the end piece it looks as though it's two. I'm not sure why but I'm really happy that the pencil is yellow. I've seen in some of his other work that he uses different colors of pencils (not as in colored pencils, but color on the outside of he pencil). Using a yellow pencil in this just makes me feel like it's a more common object.

Chain

BootI don' really know how anyone could not like this piece. The detail alone on this is spectacular. I'm curious as to how fragile these pieces are. Like the tongue in the boot is just hanging out there, if I touched that would it break off? I'm also curious if he manipulates that uncarved portion of the pencil. Like the yellow part of this image looks fairly worn down and I'm curious if that is intentional or if it's just from so much handling.


Boot







Sources:
http://www.daltonmghetti.com/biography.asp
http://www.daltonmghetti.com/shop.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment