Sunday, April 27, 2014

Ann Hamilton

Ann Hamilton PortraitAnn Hamilton is and installation artist working in many different types of media. She has a BFA in textile design from the University of Kansas and an MFA in sculpture from the Yale School of Arts. She has received various awards for her work and has had countless exhibitions. She has been a faculty member at the University of California at Santa Barbara, and is a Distinguished University Professor in the Department of Arts at the University of Ohio.

Hamilton works with a lot of different media in her installation, she works with lot of of sound and video, and in certain works, and lot of words. From what is seems, her work is really meant to be experience first hand to really get a sense of what the work is like. Seeing videos and pictures in one thing but it seems like her work in an experience rather than just a piece of work.

Ann Hamilton - myein
Myein, 1999
In 1999, Hamilton was commission to do a work that represented the United States in the United States Pavilion. In the work she has red, fuchsia powder coming down from the walls onto the floor. On the walls there is writing in Braille of Reznikoff's Testimony. I's really on the border about this work and whether i like it or not. I feel like I only understand it because I read about it but I think if I saw it in person without reading anything I would just see blood like elements coming down from the walls, which seems like a pretty strong message in itself.
Ann Hamilton - human carriage
Human Carriage, 2009
This piece was a bunch of book weights that were dropped at a certain time in a particular building with specific rigs that were set off by someone at certain times during the day. I don't know how i feel about this because, again, I feel like its the type of piece that needs to be experienced. It seems like most of her work is like this, pictures probably don't do it the justice. It seems like a coo thing to experience but I don't know if I like it as an art piece.


Source:
http://www.annhamiltonstudio.com/biography.html
http://www.annhamiltonstudio.com/images/Ann_Hamilton_Portrait.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment