Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Maurice Sapiro

Maurice Sapiro is New Jersey born artist based out of Connecticut. He is an oil painter mainly focusing on still life, landscape, and dreamlike landscapes. He's published books and won various awards for his work.
I like his work because it feels very traditional and calm to me. There is just a very airy feel to the paintings and reminds me of the older traditional styles of painting that I've learned about since beginning my art studies. I feel like traditional painting styles like this are going out of style and are being replace by a more modern and contemporary way of painting.
I love the use of color and texture in the painting. I feel like the balance is really nice with the heave light on one side and the various colors and drippings on the other. I'm curious as to how he got that look and texture to the clouds and sky. I think the use of yellow throughout the sky is also very effective.









What I like most about this is the speckles throughout the dark areas of the piece. I'm' curious if he used a splatter method to do that or some other way of doing that other than by hand . I like the piece as a whole, but the area at the top by the yellow sky I don't like as much. I feel like it looks translucent against that background or maybe in just how it was painted. I just feel like its almost disconnected or unfinished in comparison to the rest of the painting.









Source:
http://mauricesapiro.com/bio/
https://d30dcznuokq8w8.cloudfront.net/thumbnails/w/580/h/483/q/85/product/5/3/d8839991c210ca55f5488f8fa7747f.jpg
http://www.slowartday.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment