Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sam Jinks

Sam Jinks is a sculptor working in hyper realistic portraiture. He is originally form Australia and is based out of Melbourne. He is regularly shown in galleries and exhibitions and is part of several private and public collections.
I'm not sure if I'd want to see any of Jinks' work in person. I find them all very impressive and pretty awesome, but they're also pretty grotesque. He shows a lot of infants (not that infants are grotesque in any way) and malnourished people and also a lot of nude figures. For myself I'd rather just enjoy these sculptures through pictures rather than in real life.
So I find this baby a little gross. I think it has to do with the large size, and probably the fact that it looks moist. The size probably has to do with the point of the sculpture and draws a lot of attention to itself, which I think is the point. babies are always very small and fragile, and this is just the opposite.






This one that i would not want to see in person. It looks so real and I feel like it would just disturb me to experience. I feel like sculpting people that realistic just produces a reaction that would be close to if it was a real person. I think that's the point of all of this sculptures, is to get a reaction of the reality of the human figure and how it can really be or be seen as. I find his work extremely interesting, but i really don't enjoy looking at it.




Source:
http://www.daao.org.au/bio/sam-jinks/biography/?
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5OiMsEj2oSBHoWTVpvZqzAsfiLpJjckP8eSxXqjTeUL9fO9Zc
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGKhCftu58f-Vp1-m0AIOniBIXW4vvWl305IC1qPHqMPvEAOdoLQ

No comments:

Post a Comment